Good morning friends! Today I’m sharing with you an organizational project I completed on my pantry. My pantry was bad!!! Like embarrassed to even show you the before pictures bad, and anyone who knows me would be surprised that my pantry looked like this!?!
But this is life, sometimes things get out of control and for me to be truthful…this is what it turned into. I kept wanting to tackle the pantry but I would just get what I needed then close the door or say I would tackle it one day then other things would came up. But Sunday was the day, I gave myself a deadline.
Here’s a little back story to how it got to this point. When we moved in, Naomi wanted to help me unpack the kitchen. While I needed to figure out where to put stuff in the kitchen, I told her she could unpack the pantry boxes. She asked where to put the stuff and I gave her permission to put the stuff where ever she wanted, because I knew I would have to organize the pantry at some time. Throw in a handful of grocery shopping trips, adding things in there that didn’t belong and me procrastinating…and this what you get.
I got to the point that I couldn’t even see what I had or didn’t have and it ended in non-efficient grocery shopping trips because I would forget something I actually needed or wouldn’t know I was missing key items.
For instance, Saturday Jarret wanted me to make him chocolate chip cookies to take back to work. While I was getting the ingredients out, I realized I was out of brown sugar, so there went Jer to the store to get brown sugar. He asked before he left if I needed anything else for the cookies and my response was no that’s it. Well turns out I was all out of vanilla extract as well, so needless to say the cookies had no vanilla extract in them.
Long story short, when Jarret left Sunday afternoon to head back to work, I told myself I needed to get this pantry in order now!
I started by picking up all the Walmart grocery bags that needed to go back to the store.
Next I pulled everything off the shelves and put them on the dining room table.
Now when I started putting things back, I was corralling the like items in bins that I picked up from the dollar spot at Target.
Doesn’t that look so much better!!! We are getting somewhere now…
1. I put all the baking related products in to a bin (flour, brown sugar, powdered sugar, etc.)
2. In the 3 tiered baskets I have pasta & potatoes in the top one, fruit squeezies in the middle one and misc. in the bottom basket.
3. This houses all the chip & cracker related items.
4. In these two smaller bins I have rice type items on the left and oatmeal type items on the right.
5. In this bin I corralled all the Ziploc bags, foil and parchment paper in here. The kitchen doesn’t have a lot of storage, so some stuff has to be stored in here.
6. I wanted to note that I moved all the food storage containers to a new location in the kitchen, I moved a few cabinets around to house them.
Here are some close up shots of the shelves and bins.
Now mind you, this is pretty bare bones with how much food is in here. I need to go to the grocery store today, but I didn’t want to go shopping till the pantry was clean & organized, now I could see what I need.
When I open my pantry it’s like a breath of fresh air!!!
I’m also ready to fill it back up for back to school lunch packing items too!
Thanks for ready and talk to you soon,