In the process of decluttering my house, I realized I never go through my makeup collection. And some of my makeup I’ve had for a really long time! Which prompted me to think, how long should you keep your makeup for?
While going through my makeup collection I found an eye shadow pallet that was 10 years old!
Most of the makeup I got rid of were old eye shadow pallets because makeup does have a built-in expiration date.
How long should you keep your makeup for?
On some makeup products, you can look on the back and see a little pot with a number inside either 12 or 24m. This is usually on foundations or powders.
This means from the date you open the product you have x-amount of months until it expires. Now on your smaller products like eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, you won’t see those little reminder numbers but, let me break it down for you.
- Mascara & Liquid Eyeliner. Mascara and liquid eyeliner have the shortest shelf life once open, only 3-4 months. Every time the wand goes back into the tube, it takes bacteria with it. Replace these products often!
- Liquid Lipstick & Lip Gloss. Liquid lipstick and lip gloss last for 6-12 months.
- Lip Stick. Your traditional lipstick can last 12-18 months.
- Eye Pencil & Lip Liner. Since eye pencil and lip liner are in a solid form, these products can last up to 2 years.
- Powder Products ( Eye Shadows, Blush, Bronzer, etc.). Powder-based products can last up to 2 years.
- Foundation & Liquid Concealer. Liquid foundation and liquid concealer last up to 12 months.
- Cream Products ( Cream Eye Shadow, Blush, Bronzer, Concealer, etc.). Your cream based products last between 12-18 months.
What happens after it expires?
Makeup is only meant to last for so long and after a while, the preservatives that are added to make it last wears out.
The more you use your cosmetics, the more bacteria you are putting back into the products.
Can I still use cosmetics past its expiration date?
It’s advised by the cosmetic companies not to use your makeup after it has expired because you are exposing yourself to bacterial infection or irritation.
For example, The bacteria that grows in your mascara can lead to an eye infection. Or using powers or creams on your face can cause irritation or acne.
That being said, you can still use them but, use at your own risk!
What if I have unopened makeup?
Unopened cosmetics have a shelf life of 18-24 months.
As long as unopened cosmetics has been stored in a cool dry place, then you are good to go!
I hope this helped and we’ve learned makeup does have an expiration date & shelf life!
Together let’s remember to go through our cosmetic collection more often!
You May Also Like